Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Devil Stirs

Here's another poem from the seventh grade.  I really had quite the affinity toward the darker side of things.  I was going to a Catholic school back then; you would think that between this one and Breathless and What Is This Place? and a few more deeply depressing poems focusing on death and the Devil they would have been a little concerned as to why a twelve-year-old liked to write about dying.

I was sailing be
Out to sea
My peaceful place
Where I could whisper
The questions
Of my soul
In silence
The mystery questions
That cannot be answered
I was alone
I was not afraid
Why should I be
The water was calm
The sky clear
And I was aboard
My faithful ship
The Black Dragon
On which I had sailed
Many times before
A light ocean breeze
Danced across my face
And lingured
I laughed
Lost in a slippery stream
Of pleasure
I looked
Over the side of the ship
And saw a reflection
My reflection
It shimmered
On the liquid surface
My light blue eyes
That shown as bright
As the Moon
On a dark summer night
My pale skin
As white and clear 
As freshly fallen snow
My hair
Dark ebony tresses
As black as
A dark winter's night
It hangs in my face
Concealing my features
Creating a barrier
Between me
And the rest of the world
But if you look
Beyond my appearance
You will see
Beauty
Spirit 
Delight
My Fears
A kingdom of freedom
You will also see
A prisoner
Wallowing
In a pit full
Of death and destruction
Of hatred
But being empty
You will see
My other side
The side I keep hidden
The bad side
Fighting to get out
A somber and ebony
Chaos causing
Disaster
My shadow
Dying to cause
Havoc and destruction
To spread evil and hatred
To cause death
To forever end freedom
And to destroy the human race
The real me

Behind my eyes
A devil stirs.

Funnily enough, the appearance of the person described in the poem looks a lot like I do now and nearly nothing like I did when I wrote it.  I have blue eyes, am usually quite pale and have dark black hair that often hangs in my face.  When I was younger I usually had a tan and blonde hair that was often pulled back into a ponytail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment