Sunday, April 13, 2014

Career Plans

I really don't know what I want to do with my life.  I'm going to school but I have no idea what I really want to go into.  Well, I can't really say I have no idea what I want to go into; I do know what I would like to do.  There are several things that I would like to do for a living but none of them are very practical.  I love writing, which while it is something I am good at and enjoy doing; it is not a viable career option.  And whatever I decide to do I can always write in my free time.  I would also like to go into history or religious studies, which while fascinating, are again not really something I can make a career out of.  This leaves me with a science related career.  I like science.  I have always found it interesting and it is something I am reasonably good at and there are always careers available.

I want to help people.  But I really don't like people and I would prefer not to work with a lot of people.  That removes careers like doctors, nurses, etc. from the list of possibilities.  At first I thought being a veterinarian was the next logical choice.  You don't really work with people and your patients can't talk.  But being a veterinarian is very stressful and I don't think I could deal with sick animals and upset owners.  I want to go into something in medical research.  Working behind the scenes doing something to better the world is something I could see myself doing.  Something like: studying genetics or cancer research or studying diseases.  Working in a lab trying to find cures is a job I could do.  It's only my first year of college so I have time to decide but I really don't know what I'll end up doing with my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment