Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Dream

I usually don't write rhyming poetry because I think that non-rhyming poetry is more expressive.  It's also much easier to find the words to express yourself if you're not restricted to finding something that rhymes.  But occasionally I will write something rhyming.  This poem which I titled My Dream was written my senior year of high school for a project where we had to write about what we wanted to do with our life.  

My dream is to become a writer
My only certain goal
But if I wish to accomplish this
I must view things as a whole

Writing helps to calm me
Helps me find a peaceful place
Where I can think without disruptions
In my own special space

All the people who annoy me
All the people I deplore
I retreat into my peaceful place
And hear their voice no more

All the anguish and the pain
That seem to hover overhead
While in your conscience state
It fills you up with dread

For your death is imminent
As is nature's way
And none alive escape this fate
However much they pray

The Earth itself will be destroyed
Its' surfaces soon will fade
Eventually it'll turn to dust
Due to the damage man has made

Man's lees than cautious treatment
Of this place on which we live
Spells destruction for humankind
The gift that nature gives

And no amount of adoration
No amount of care
Can undo the past
Of what has happened there

The world is not expendable
Can never be replaced
If only one could've looked ahead
To see what would be faced

What's done is done
Will now remain
There is no turning back
What's been done to this domain

For man's mistakes went unnoticed
The time to change surpassed
And nothing can be done
To rectify the past

And as the time passes
The Earth will crumble from within
And only then will man remorse
For he'll know the end has just begin

One by one we will succumb
And except our doom
But until that happens
Our life we will resume

And I plan to be a writer
But as the words spill to this page
I wonder...
Will there be a world left to write for?

No comments:

Post a Comment