Sunday, April 7, 2013

Being Normal

Days until restraining order is lifted: 349


I tried to be normal.  I didn’t like it.  Being normal is overrated.  I’m not sure being normal is what I want anyway.  I want to be happy.  I want to not be so afraid all the time.  I want people to like me.  I want to be able to be myself.  I want to walk around in my gothic clothes.  I want to continue with my odd manner of speaking.  I want to be able to show my quirkiness and eccentricities.  I want people to stop looking at me like I’m crazy.  I guess what I really want is for people to be more accepting of people who are different.  It’s not me who needs to change, it’s them.  The belief that only a certain way is normal and you have to be that way.  That being ‘normal’ is the only way to live and that the people who don’t fall into that category should be ignored, or hidden away, or shamed until they become ‘normal’ is wrong.  It’s that sort of ideology that causes people like me to be afraid of going out in public.  People call me crazy.  They spit on me.  They call me a devil worshiper and devil person. Why?  Because I don’t fit into their neat little box of how people should appear and behave.  Because I’m different.  I’m not normal.  And I’m happy being that way.  If being sane means thinking there’s something wrong with being different… I’d rather be completely fucking mental. 

No comments:

Post a Comment