Saturday, March 15, 2014

Banned From The Store: Voloyda's Apology

Days until restraining order is lifted: 7

The day that I was banned from The Store, Voloyda called me and told me that he had a gun and that he was on his way to The Store to kill David.  I rushed over to The Store to warn David and to try to stop Voloyda.  When I got there I went in and told them that I needed to talk to David, that it was an emergency.  But they wouldn't listen.  They kicked me out; told me that I was no longer welcome there and that if I came back they would call the police.  (Now that I think about it, I should have just refused to leave and had them call the cops.)  I went back to my car, moved to the store next doors parking lot, and called the police.  I told them that my ex-boyfriend had threatened to kill my boss.  And that I really thought he would do it.  I told them he had called me 15 minutes ago and said that he had a gun and was on his way to The Store.  The police said they would do what they could but I don't think they believed me.  They asked me my name and when I told them, they commented on the fact that I had been picked up for attempting suicide ten days prior.

I didn't think it did any good until two months ago when Voloyda thanked me for calling the police on him.  I never told anyone that I called them.  The only way he would have known was if they stopped him.  (Apparently they did believe me.)  I guess I just assumed that the reason Voloyda didn't kill him was because he had never intended to in the first place, or at least I did until January when he told me otherwise.

V: I've been thinking and I really need to thank you.
O: For what?
V: The day you were banned form The Store.
V: I told you that I was going to hurt him and you rushed over there to warn him about me.
O: You told me you would do more than hurt him.  And a fat lot of good it did.  They kicked me out without listening what I had to say.
V: But you didn't just give up and leave.
V: You called the police and told them what I was planning to do
O: How do you know that?  I never told anyone.
V: Because they stopped me on my way to The Store.  They stopped me and questioned me.  They let me go.  (This is our fine police force at work; they stop people who just threatened to murder someone and then let them continue on their way, with a gun.  This is why I don't like the police.)  But I lost my nerve to continue with the plan.  So I wanted to thank you.  You saved two life's that day.  Not only did you save David, but you saved me as well.  And I wanted you to know that I know you called the police and I'm happy that you did.  And then two weeks later when I told you I was going to beat him up you stopped me again.  Even though you knew he would probably find out.  And he did.  And he filed the restraining order against you.  And instead of explaining what was happening and turning me in you told them it was you.  You took the blame the first night I followed him to his house and you lost Annette because of it.  And you took the blame when I followed him to his apartment.  You took the blame for everything.  Even though you did nothing wrong.  Even though you knew it meant losing your friends.  But you did it anyway.  You really liked him.  And you gave him up.  All of them up.  For me.  To keep me out of jail.  I want to thank you and I want to apologize for everything that happened and for the way I've treated you.  It was unfair.  And I'm sorry.
O: Thank you.  But why did you wait until now to tell me.
V: I wasn't exactly thinking rationally at the time.  I though he stole you from me.  I should have realized he never had you and even if he did it wasn't my business.  And for a long time I was angry.  I wanted to hurt you the way you had hurt me.  So I sabotaged any chance you had with him.  It wasn't until recently that I realized what I was really doing.  And I didn't like what I was turning into.  That is not the kind of man I want to be.

Ever since Voloyda told me this in January he has been acting completely normal.  He said that he's been seeing a psychologist.  He has not been following me.  He hasn't showed up at my house.  He's stopped asking me to go out with him.  He appears to be pulling his life together.  I really hope he succeeds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment