Saturday, March 29, 2014

Overcoming My Phobias

Now that my restraining order is over I can begin the process of getting a gun, which is something that both excites and terrifies me.  Guns are awesome.  I am not afraid of guns.  I believe people should be able to own a gun if they wish.  I don't even think I would be particularly scared if someone were threatening to shoot me.  I would be surprised obviously, but I don't think I would be particularly afraid.  Because quite frankly, I don't care if I die.  I'm not suicidal or anything but you know, everyone has to die sometime.  If someone was threatening to shoot me I don't know that I would do anything to prevent them.  I am not afraid of guns.  I am not afraid of people with guns.  But the thought of owning a gun, of having one in my possession, absolutely terrifies me.  And I have no idea why.  I've tried to think of the reason and I'm not sure I have one.  I don't think I would do anything bad with it.  I wouldn't use it to kill myself.  Or go out and kill someone else.  And I definitely  wouldn't go on like a shooting rampage or anything.  I could never hurt anyone.  I don't know why it scares me so much. 

I would like to get over this.  I would like to get over a lot of things.  I have so many fears and phobias (see post: Phobia List at: http://stalkingmyexboss.blogspot.com/2013/04/days-until-restraining-order-is-lifted_26.html), I would like to get over at least some of them.  I don't think I can get over my fear of owning a gun, at least not right now, but maybe I can get over some of the other things.  For the next three months (I may continue for longer depending on how well this works out) I will try to get over some of the things on this list.  Every two weeks I will pick an item and spend a few days researching and studying it and the remaining time will be spent on trying to get over the phobia.  I'll try to tackle some of the less serious ones first and work my way up to the more difficult ones, increasing time if needed.

Each post will list the fear level (1 being slightly nervous, 10 being totally unbearable/would avoid at all costs), why I am afraid, some facts about the fear, and how I plan to overcome it.  I figured I would start off with something that doesn't totally terrify me.  My first fear to tackle is: Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment