Monday, April 10, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 10 Prompt 1

Talk about a cure. What is your opinion about seeking a cure for autism? Do you want a cure? Why or why not?

I don’t think we need a cure, and certainly not if it is through eugenics. I know I don’t want one. Saying that there needs to be a cure for autism is saying that autistic people are not fine the way they are. Autism is not a disease, it does not make a person sickly or of poor health, it’s just a different way of being. Saying we need a cure is saying we’re broken or defective; we’re not. Autistic people need proper therapy and support to allow us to reach our potential; we need people to be more accepting and accommodating. We do not need to be made neurotypical for the convenience of others. I do not need to change who I am at a fundamental level to make NTs (neurotypical means a person who is neurologically typical, i.e. no mental or developmental disorders) and allistics (non-autistic but not neurotypical, i.e. has some sort of mental or developmental disorder) more comfortable. Sure, autism can and does make things more difficult, but that’s mostly due to the lack of accommodations. Autism is a part of me, an important part of my identity, I wouldn’t want to not be autistic. My autism is a gift. I get to experience the world in a way that not many people do, only an ignorant buffoon would view that as a negative thing needing to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment