Thursday, April 13, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 13

Talk about something funny.  Has anything humorous or ironic ever happened to you because you were autistic?

Not really all that funny but since it’s kind of poking fun at a rude NT I find it rather amusing.  This was just the other day actually.  She had commented on an autism related video on Facebook about how autism is a horrible disorder.  And I replied that it wasn’t and if that was how she felt, she was part of the problem. Her response was to ask me if I’d ever actually interacted with a person with autism because if I had, I’d know what she was talking about because apparently we’re really difficult.  I of course replied that I am autistic.  And interestingly enough, when I went back a few minutes later to see if she had responded, she had deleted the entire conversation.  I guess she didn’t want to look like a fool.  

Here’s another story from when I was little, I had apparently never heard the term punching so I came up with my own term ‘hand-kicking’ which my parents found adorable and didn’t correct me on.  I think it wasn’t until the second or third grade that I found out hand-kicking isn’t a thing.  

I personally am partial to dry humor.  For my jokes I usually rely on wordplay or I often make blunt statement that can be somewhat amusing (though I often don’t immediately get why).  Some recent interactions include:

Grandma (who is legally blind): These windows are filthy. I can’t see a thing out of them.
Me: Well you can’t really see anything to begin with so…

A while ago, basically my entire family was out for my cousin’s birthday.  We had already been there for two hours and by that point I and very restless to leave, I semi-quietly announced to my grandmother and aunt that we had to leave because my dad was ‘having some problems with his bowels’ (note that he wasn’t at the time though it’s common for him to announce his toileting habits so a statement like this wouldn’t be out of the norm). Dad found this hilarious but also told me to never say this again.  This has kind of become our go to phrase for when we want to get out of something.  ‘Sorry I can’t help you with those dishes Ma, I’m having some problems with my bowels.’

No comments:

Post a Comment