Saturday, April 8, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 8

Talk about traditional media. Have you been influenced by autism themes in the media? Have you had to correct misinformation about autistic people that others got from the media?

I don’t really have a lot to talk about on this subject. In general I don’t think there’s really a whole lot of representation of autistic people in the media. It has gotten better in the last few years but there’s still not enough representation. I’m sure most autistic people have gotten the comparison to rain man or Sheldon Cooper at some point. I’ve got this on multiple occasions and it’s always a bit awkward explaining that ‘No, I’m not like rain man and in fact Kim Peek the guy the movie was based on isn’t even autistic.’ I’d say the only way I’ve really been influenced by the media in relation to my autism is it got me to start rocking. I didn’t used to rock (or if I did I don’t remember) but rocking seems to be one of the main ways autistic people are represented and after trying it out I realized it’s basically the most soothing thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment