Tuesday, April 18, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 18

Talk about functioning labels. What is your opinion about functioning labels? Where are you on the spectrum? If you don’t like functioning labels how would you describe your functioning ability?

I think functioning labels are rude and inaccurate. They are a way to dismiss the needs of the ‘high functioning’ and dismiss the abilities of the ‘low functioning.’ Saying a person is high or low functioning doesn’t actually provide any information as every person has a mix of functioning ability that could vary depending on the day or task.

As a whole, I’m pretty functional. I can speak verbally and have mastered all the basic selfcare skills such as washing, eating, dressing. But just because I can do these things most of the time doesn’t mean I can do them all of the time, or in every situation. At home I can speak easily and coherently to my parents and close relatives, while to other people or out in public I may not be able to talk at all or I may be less articulate. And while most of the time I don’t have any problem showering or making something to eat there are other times when I can’t manage to take a shower properly if at all or I will sit there and be hungry because I can’t make myself something to eat. There are days when I’m not able to leave the house (at least not in a presentable manner) because I haven’t been able to wash my clothes. So, while I am capable of doing these simple tasks I cannot always do them in a reliable manner and this excludes me, at least at the present time, from living independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment