Friday, April 7, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 7

Talk about community. How are you treated by your local community? Do you participate in any online communities? How have they reacted to you being autistic?

I guess my local community is okay. Generally I don’t leave the house unless I have to. I only go out for specific reasons and don’t really enjoy ambling about. On average I’d say the local population is decent, there’s always a few creeps and weirdos but generally they’re okay. I don’t really do much in person interaction outside of my family. The only in person communities I regularly interact with is the occasional atheist or LGBT meetups. I suppose school would count as a community but I don’t really talk to people and I don’t hang around there longer than I have to.

The vast majority of my social interaction is done online. I’m in groups for pretty much everything I am. There are plenty of autism, trans/queer, atheist, communities available online. It’s nice to be able to interact with people who are like me. I also participate in groups relating to my hobbies and special interests. I’m lucky that my interests are fairly common, should I desire interaction, there’s usually always someone willing to discuss things.

While I am out as autistic it’s not exactly something that comes up very often. People’s reactions are usually okay. Occasionally I’ll get some ableist comments but I’d say the vast majority of people are decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment