Wednesday, April 19, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance Day 20

Talk about communication.  Are you verbal? Nonverbal? Partially verbal?  How do you usually communicate?

I was a late talker; my mother says I didn’t start speaking until I was four but that once I started I spoke normally and never stopped.  From what she described I’ve come to the realization that I must have had, at least briefly, some sort of impediment regarding certain sounds.  Specifically, those with the ‘or’ sound which I would pronounce as ‘air’.  So morning was mair-ning, door was dair, four was fair.  Apparently I would have arguments with my grandfather to shut the dair and that I was fair years old while he would argue the correct pronunciation.

For the most part I am verbal and don’t generally have any trouble communicating through speech.  However, on some occasions, usually when I’m really stressed, I cannot talk.  It’s like the words are there but I can’t get my mouth to cooperate enough to say them.  I guess I could classify these instances as nonverbal episodes though I’m inclined to believe they are tied more into my social anxiety than my autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment