Friday, April 28, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 28

Talk about autism as a disability. Do you think autism is a disability or a difference? Or both? Do you feel more disabled by society than by your autism?

I would definitely say autism is both a disability and a difference. Some aspects are positive while others can be disabling. I believe that I am more disabled by society’s lack of accommodations than by being autistic. My behaviors and social skills are not wrong they are just different and if it weren’t for NTs being so particular about the proper way to behave, I would not be disabled, or at least not to the extant that I am. However, even if the barrier of having to present in a typical way was removed I would still have a lot of trouble with things and I would still class myself as being disabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment