Friday, April 14, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 14

Talk about role models. Who are your role models? How have they influenced you?

A short post for today as I don’t really get the whole role model thing. I think John Elder Robison is an excellent autistic role model. His books ‘Look Me in the Eye’ and ‘Be Different’ were some of the first I read after I received my diagnosis. It kind of reinforced the idea that there’s nothing wrong with being autistic, I wasn’t broken or defective. He’s a strong autism advocate. Tried (unsuccessfully) to remodel autism speaks. He’s a pretty successful person; husband, father, owns his own business, published four books. I think that’s quite an accomplishment.

Some other people I admire are Chase Ross, Laverne Cox, Temple Grandin, Emma Watson. I wouldn’t really say any of these people have influenced me though. I just think they’re decent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment