Sunday, April 9, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 9 Prompt 2

Talk about special interests. Do you have a special interest? What is it? Feel free to infodump.

Before I knew I was autistic and realized that special interests are common with us, people (including myself) thought it was a little weird that I had such intense obsessions. Others didn’t seem to be as fixated about things as I was and it made me stand out a bit when I wouldn’t stop talking about roman mythology or homeless people, or whatever my interest at the time was. Finding out I was autistic and that this was normal for us really helped me to realize that my obsessions were okay and I wasn’t weird for having them.

For as long as I can remember I've always had an obsession with one thing or another. Sometimes they were normal and age appropriate (Scooby Doo, Harry Potter, the TV show LOST) and sometimes they weren't (homeless people, prosthetic limbs, my 55-year-old boss.) They usually last a few years before they disappear, usually when there is nothing more to be learned on the subject or a new interest develops. Some of are a bit more awkward than others; such as my homeless person fixation. Which my parents found endlessly annoying because apparently a 10-year-old who talks about nothing but homeless people is embarrassing.

Harry Potter/Snape/Alan Rickman has been probably my greatest and longest lasting special interest. There’s such a good community and always unnoticed or additional information to go over. I have several secondary special interests, though right now my love of all things British may be tied with HP for top interest. I’m also really into the Lion Guard (though I love all things Disney the lion guard is most important right now). I also love squirrels. Interesting fact about the fox squirrel, which is the most common squirrel in north America, they range in weight from 1.2 to 2.2 pounds though they can weigh as much as 3.5 in preparation for winter. Another squirrel fact: squirrels are nearly immune to rabies. And my final special interest is the British foster care system (which I suppose would fall under Britain).

I love collecting things relating to my special interests. Which my mother usually yells at me for as she clearly doesn’t understand how much I need these things. I own a bunch of lion guard stuff which my mother says is immature but whatever. The lion king was my favorite thing when I was a kid and I think it’s great that Disney has brought it back for the next generation. I love collecting books in general but I have a bunch of British fostering memoirs. In fact, I just received 6 more books on Tuesday and I’ve actually read them all already. They were so good, I just couldn’t stop even though I should have as I had an important paper to write for school but the books arrived on the day I had to write it and well, I’m not very good at controlling my impulses when it comes to my special interest. I will say that I did manage to get the paper done after I read two of the books (the latest by Cathy Glass and Casey Watson if you’re interested). I also have a ton of Harry Potter stuff. The best of which is a life-size cutout of Snape which is fucking awesome.  Here's some of my Harry Potter collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment