Wednesday, April 12, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance: Day 12

Talk about ableism. Have you experienced discrimination? Have you been the target of hate speech or slurs? Have you been a victim of abuse or violence? What’s the rudest thing someone has said to you about autism or you being autistic?

I’ve not really experienced any discrimination for being autistic (mostly my discrimination has been in reference to my gender or lack of religion) as until recently no one knew I was autistic. I can’t really recall any specific instances but looking back I certainly seemed to be treated differently or looked down upon for behaviors that I now realize are related to my autism. Thankfully I’ve not physically harassed or anything. Please don't ever say any of the following things to an autistic person.

I’ve received ableist comments online and in person when revealing that I’m autistic. Comments like:

  • “No way you’re autistic, you’re nothing like my child.” Your child is four years old and I’m in my 20's so how do you know I wasn’t like that? You cannot base your very young child’s future ability based on their current functioning ability. 
  • “Autistic? So that’s like retarded, right?” No, no it’s not and you shouldn’t really be saying that. 
  • “You know you can cure that with (insert random diet or treatment).” Uh, no you can’t. And nor would I want to.
  • “Where is your mommy or daddy?” I’m in my 20s, thanks. I don’t need my parents to go to the store; I’m quite capable of doing this task on my own.

And then there’s always the well-meaning but insulting comments:

  • “You must be very high functioning.” Functioning labels are rude and inaccurate.
  • “I’m sorry.” Why? I’m not. There’s nothing wrong with being autistic.
  • “Oh really? You seem so normal. Are you sure?” Just because I don’t fit your very narrow definition of autism doesn’t mean I am not autistic.
  • “Everyone is a little autistic.” No, they are not. Because if everyone was autistic, autism would not be a thing.

And then sometimes I get really weird or somewhat amusing comments:

  • “Does this mean you’re really good at math?” No, in fact I’m in remedial math classes.
  • “Can you have sex?” I don’t know what would possess someone to ask this to a person they’ve just met but it’s surprisingly common. When I get this question I usually just end the conversation. 
  • “So, have you heard of Temple Grandin?” Yes, pretty much every time I tell people I’m autistic they bring this up.
  • “Do you like the show Blue’s Clues?” Yeah, I used to when I was about 6. I’ve got this question a few times. I’m still not totally sure why people think because I’m autistic I must enjoy watching blue’s clues.

No comments:

Post a Comment