Wednesday, April 19, 2017

30 Days of Autism Acceptance Day 19

Talk about your struggles and strengths.  What things are difficult for you because you are autistic?  What are the positives of being autistic?  Do you have a special skill or talent?

I would say that for me, social interaction is definitely the thing I struggle with most in regards to my autism.  I’ve still not totally got the hang of how to be social and often have trouble with conversations, even with my parents and close relatives.  My mother says that it feels as if I don’t have I conversation so much as make statements.  I can never think of what to talk about and essentially end up repeating the same scripts every day.  It’s also really hard when things go off schedule, I don’t exactly have a set schedule but plans changing at the last minute or being told to do things in a different way is incredibly stressful.

The sensory processing issues I have are, I suppose, both a positive and negative.  It sucks to have such strong aversions to things but at the same times the good sensory input is amazing.  So maybe I’ll never be able to prepare raw chicken by myself but the joy I get from touching soft things and burrowing under my weighted blanket kind of makes up for.  It seems that NTs don’t get to experience things as intensely as we do, I think that’s kind of sad. 

Positives are being able to experience the world in a different way, it’s cool to be able to experience the world in a way outside of the norm.  It actually seems like it’d be quite boring to be NT.  I can’t imagine it would be enjoyable having to conform in the way that they do, at least with being autistic I have a reason for being odd.  Special interests are definitely a positive (provided they are something appropriate). It’s so easy for me to absorb all the information about a special interest, like you can be an overnight ‘expert’ on whatever you’re into which is pretty cool.  I don’t really think NTs have the same ability to do that, at least not to the extent that autistic people can.

I don’t really have a special talent per se, but I do seem to be an exceptionally strong writer.  Most of my talent seems to be centered around language/linguistics.  I excel at word based subjects such as English and history and I love reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment